Benefits of a Healthy Weight
A Healthy Weight Has Healthy Benefits
Research is very clear that losing weight and maintaining a healthy weight can help you live a long, happy life. People come in different shapes and sizes. While differences are normal, more than 60% of American adults weigh more than they should. In addition, more than 30% of American children are overweight. The list of benefits is long:
- Prevent Twin Killers – Heart Disease and Stroke. Heart disease and stroke are the leading causes of death and disability for both men and women in the United States. Excess weight is a leading factor for both of these diseases.
- High Blood Pressure. This is a major risk factor for both heart disease and stroke.
- Very high blood levels of cholesterol and triglycerides (blood fats). These can also lead to heart disease and are linked to being overweight. Angina. Being overweight can also contribute to this problem that involves chest pain caused by decreased oxygen to the heart.
- Losing Weight Can Prevent Type 2 Diabetes. Both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes are associated with long-term complications that threaten life and the quality of life. If you are overweight, you are twice as likely to develop type 2 diabetes (non-insulin dependent) as people who are not overweight. You can reduce your chances of getting this disease by losing weight and by increasing your physical activity. If you do have the disease, losing weight and getting exercise can help you control your blood sugar levels. It may even reduce the amount of medication that you need.
- Sudden death from heart disease or stroke without any signs or symptoms. Reducing your weight by 5-10 percent can decrease your chance of developing heart disease or having a stroke. You can improve your heart function, blood pressure and your levels of blood cholesterol and triglycerides.
- Weight Loss Improves Sleep Apnea. Sleep apnea is a serious condition associated with being overweight. It can cause you to stop breathing for short periods and to snore heavily. Sleep apnea can make you sleepy in the daytime and cause heart failure. Losing weight can reduce or eliminate this problem.
- Reduce Your Risk of Some Kinds of Cancer. There are several kinds of cancer associated with being overweight. In women, these include cancer of the uterus, gallbladder, cervix, ovary, breast and colon. Overweight men are at greater risk for developing cancer of the colon, rectum and prostate. It is not clear yet whether the increased risk is due to the extra weight or to a high-fat, high-calorie diet. Your best bet to reduce the risk of these weight-associated cancers is to lose weight if you need to and to increase your exercise.
- Get Rid of Gout. Gout is a joint disease caused by high levels of uric acid in the blood. This painful disease is more common among people who are overweight. It is important to know that some diets (e.g. high protein diet) can trigger gout attacks, so if you have a history of the disease, check with your doctor before trying to lose weight.
- Reduce Osteoarthritis, the Pain of Being Overweight. This is a joint disorder that affects the joints in your knees, hips and lower back. Extra weight increases the risk of this disease because there is more pressure on these joints. Weight loss can decrease the stress and improve symptoms of osteoarthritis.
- Eliminate Gallbladder Grief. Gallbladder disease and gallstones are more common if you are overweight, although it is not clear yet how being overweight causes gallbladder problems. Rapid weight loss can actually increase the chance of developing gallstones, so remember that the watchwords for weight loss are slow and steady.
Losing weight can be a big financial advantage
According to a new study that examined more than 20,000 German and American workers, very thin women—defined as weighing 25 pounds less than the group average—earned some $15,572 per year over their average-weight peers. And women weighing 25 pounds more than average earned $13,847 less.
Losing weight can improve your health in many ways
- Increased energy level
- Reduced aches and pains
- Improved mobility
- Improve your breathing
- Help you sleep better and wake more rested
- More self-confidence
Losing Weight Is Good For The Family
Experts agree that being too heavy is bad for your health. Having too much fat can lead to serious health problems. More than 300,000 lives could be saved each year if everyone in America maintained a healthy weight! Next to smoking, obesity is the most common preventable cause of death in the United States. Studies also show that when parents live healthy, their nutritional habits have long term benefits for their children as they adopt their parents’ lifestyle.